“Wai is an 18-year-old Burmese man who suffered burns over half of his body six months ago in a work-related accident,” our medical partner, Burma Border Projects (BBP) tells us. Wai worked in a gas station where he was moving supplies in the storeroom, when an explosion from fumes in the room went off.
“When he regained consciousness, 18 hours later, he found himself in a critical care ward. The owner of the gas station and a friend had transported him there,” shares BBP. Wai has third degree burns on his arms and legs, but luckily his head was spared and he suffers no pulmonary damage.
“Wai was in the hospital for two months and the doctors recommended a longer stay, but the gas station owner, who paid the bill for two months, refused to take on any further hospital expense. The owner didn’t extend any further compensation to his former employee,” adds BBP.
“Wai has largely lost the use of his left hand and his right hand. He is capable of walking, although slowly and with a deliberate pace. He can no longer play cane ball, his favorite pastime, as he can no longer run,” BBP says.
Wai needs surgery to remove the damaged tissue from the burns. This procedure will cost $1,500 and will give him increased motion and flexibility in his hands, legs, and joints.
“I want to get back to helping my family,” Wai shares.