Joram is a 38-year-old man who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was drinking a soda in a roadside cafe when the owner of the cafe was lighting a stove. The stove caught petrol fumes and blew up. Joram was lucky to survive, and was treated at a local hospital. His wounds have healed, but he remains with contractures (skin tightening) on the backs of his hands. These contractures have restricted his movement. He cannot straighten or bend his wrists and fingers, resulting in limited hand function.
Joram has moved away from his home and lives with his uncle to be closer to medical treatment. Joram went to technical school after completing his primary education to be a carpenter. He is not working at the moment because of his debilitated hands.
For $870, Joram will undergo contracture release and skin graft surgery. This will greatly improve his hand mobility and function, and allow him to return to work.
“I would like to have my hands fixed so that I might work again,” shared Joram.