Juliana is 31-year-old mother from Kenya. She has seven children who go to a local primary school. Her husband is a livestock herder.
Juliana has epilepsy. In 2002, she had an epileptic episode and fell into hot water. In 2011, Juliana was feeding her young child near the fireplace when she had another epileptic episode. She fell into the fire and burned her arm. She was rushed to the hospital, where she was hospitalized for eight months. In 2014, Juliana burned her right hand. Now, her fingers cannot unfold anymore.
Juliana feels pain when she is working and using her hands. She needs a skin graft and flap surgery to restore function to her right hand. Our medical partner, African Mission Healthcare Foundation, is requesting $1,063 to fund Juliana’s procedure, scheduled for June 26.
“Before I got burned, I was a hardworking mother,” Juliana says. “The community recognized my hard work. Now, I can’t even fetch firewood for my house because of the pain. My prayer is to get healed, so that I can work for my children.”