Toryeb is married with a fifteen-year-old son in grade eight. His wife is a rainy day rice farmer and grows potatoes to sell at the local market. Because there was not enough work for Toryeb to support his family in their rural province, he moved to Thailand for five years to be a hotel gardener.
Five months ago, Toryeb was climbing a tree at the hotel to cut branches that were tangled in electrical wires. He was electrocuted, lost consciousness, and suffered electrical burns to his hands and legs. He spent three months in and out of Thai hospitals and underwent amputations of some of his fingers, skin grafts, and treatment to help with his infections. He is now back in Cambodia and cannot walk and has a lot of pain. A neighbor told him to visit our medical partner, Children’s Surgical Centre, for specialty burn treatment.
Now surgeons have met with Toryeb and developed a treatment plan to help him heal. His family needs help to pay for his care, which will cost $446.
Toryeb told us: “I thought I would die, but I am hopeful I will recover after this surgery and work again to support my family. It is important for my son to stay in school.”